Monday, December 15, 2014

What a day

Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a type of anxiety disorder. It can occur after you have gone through an extreme emotional trauma that involved the threat of injury or death.

I faced a man today with PTSD!   I see all types of patients in a days work, today was a first for me.  I talked with my co worker who had initially seen him, asked for tips, she didn't have any.  She didn't get much from him, except he used ear buds and music to calm himself.  
I called him back,  handsome, blonde with a beautiful smile, a noticeable limp.  He explained he had forgotten his ear buds and that he suffered from PTSD, but he would try and get through the appointment. I get in my zone quickly, so I begin to be me, chat a bit about what I am going to do, let him know he can stop me any time he feels uncomfortable.  He tells me he wants to get through it so lets do this,  he explains he's let things go in his mouth and he is ready to get back to taking care of himself.
He then tells me he's had army work done in his mouth though he spent 6 years in the navy.  We talk about California and how we've both been there and loved it!   He's been in 46 countries while in the navy, is a language expert who worked with high level personnel in the military on secret kill missions. He'd seen enough and it finally got to him, he got out and came home....to a wife who viewed him as damaged goods and left him....so adjusting to civilian life and a divorce all at once on top of his horrific experiences during deployment got to him.....
God was still very real to him, we talked about eternity, about his journey ahead of him....how he's just resting right now....learning to let go,  he's finally sleeping....wow.  Just wow!!! 
I'm praying for this guy, my heart was moved by his openness, his honesty,
He made me think of how little I have suffered compared to what he must have gone throug and is still facing.
I'm sure I just heard the tip of what he's suffered. As I pray for him I trust God to heal him from the inside out!

1 comment:

Justine said...

I think God put that man in your care!